Minutes of Parish Council Meeting, 13th March 2023, 7:30pm

Parish Council Clerk: Philip Edwards |

Councillors Present: P Hutton (Vice Chairman), D Hooper, R Ireland (Chairman), G Joyce and J Mitchell

Also Present: Philip Edwards (clerk) and one member of the public

4151. Public Participation Session

A member of the public gave representation regarding the church clock.

4152. Apologies for Absence

Apologies for absence were received from Cllrs C Gay and P Wood

4153. Declaration of Interest

There were no declarations of disclosable pecuniary or personal interests.

4154. Confirmation of Minutes

RESOLVED: The Parish Council meeting minutes of Monday 20th February 2023 were confirmed as an accurate record and signed by Chairman.

4155. Reports

(a) Chairman’s Report

  • The flower bed at the village triangle was discussed and arrangements were confirmed both during the week and at the weekend for councillor members who volunteered to maintain the flower beds with weeding and maintenance.
  • Correspondence regarding fly tipping was reviewed. Cllr Hooper agreed to check the fly tipping location.
  • The Chairman highlighted the voluntary work of a young member of the public who had litter picked around the village as part of the Duke of Edinburgh award scheme. The Parish Council recognised the work of the young member of the public and expressed their thanks and appreciation for the voluntary service.
  • A community litter pick was planned for April 15th, 10:30am at the bus stop.

(b) Clerk’s Report

  • Members of the community have been encouraged to stand for election in May – recruitment media had been updated and promoted as requested in the previous parish council meeting.
  • Noted: details in appendix regarding standing for election posted on the website.
  • Noted: the notice regarding cancellation of bus routes and request for members of the community to support anyone without internet access with the new DRT bus scheme
  • Noted: correspondence shared with council members (see appendix)
  • Avon and Somerset Police neighbourhood team had been invited to attend future meetings as an opportunity for the public to ask questions and to receive any updates from the police on local issues.
  • The clerk had subscribed to the neighbourhood watch alerts for the area.
  • ALCA were currently offering e-learning online training, including introduction to local councils course free to members of the council.

(c) Meetings attended

  • Cllrs Ireland and Mitchell reported that they had met with BANES highways officer to discuss the brief for the engineering consultant. It was clarified that this is not a brief for the scheme itself, but rather, a brief for options to be presented for consideration. Pedestrian safety through the village was highlighted as an important factor.

(d) Memorial Hall

  • Cllr Hutton reported that the hall committee was not planning an event for the coronation.
  • The parish council decided that coronation mugs would not be required in relation to village hall plans for the coronation.
  • An electrician had been organised to install the new defibrillator.
  • Cllr Hutton reported on the changes effected in relation to the lottery grant, which included the new upstairs area and an increase in uptake in events. The parish council expressed their thanks and appreciation to the hall committee for all the work undertaken to revitalise the hall over several years, including refurbishment, management and event organisation.
  • Cllr Hutton reported that the Harptree Hop had been a successful event and that the hall finances were in a good position.

(e) Highways

  • It was noted that pot holes were marked up for attention by BANES on the Bristol Rd.
  • Cllr Mitchel offered to report ongoing pot holes on fix my street.
  • Cllr Mitchel reported that two new timber footbridges had been installed on the Roman Rd. The parish council expressed their thanks to Sheila Petherbridge, the BANES public rights of way officer, for the most recent work along with all the time, effort and support to the parish over the years.
  • The Road Safety Fund, email sent 8/3/23 to council members, was reviewed. It was reported that funding had been paused. Cllr Hooper agreed to look out for any updates on this fund.

(f) Recreation Ground

  • Quotes for recreation ground repairs had been received. On the council’s request the Clerk and Chairman agreed to authorise the purchase of spare parts for the roundabout, costing less that £100.
  • Requests for a new bench in the recreation ground had been received. It was noted that a rural log bench was being considered to commemorate the coronation. This would be proposed for after the proposed planting of a hornbeam tree.

(g) Defibrillator

  • The administration of the defibrillator was reviewed.
  • It was reported that the Clerk was receiving email updates regarding emergency use of the defibrillator.
  • Cllr Hooper volunteered to take over the regular checking of the defibrillator from Cllr Hutton.

(h) Ward Councillor’s Report

  • Apologies for absence were received from BANES District Cllr David Wood, who had emailed an update to council members. (see appendix)

4156. Finance

(a) Payments and income – see appendix 2023-03 Finance Reports

  1. RESOLVED: payments to approve listed in finance report,
    • RESOLVED: To authorise the clerk to make a bank payment to Zurich Municipal using the payee details set up in the account which have been checked against the invoice by Cllrs Hooper and Ireland
  2. Noted: payments and Income listed in finance report
  3. Noted: bank reconciliation
  4. RESOLVED: A confidential session to review HR matters was not required.
  5. RESOLVED: An annual one point scale increment from April 2023 to SCP23 was approved in accordance with the Clerk’s contract of employment.

4157. Planning applications

Application Reference23/00759/FUL
Application Address: Easton , Bristol Road, West Harptree, Bristol, Bath And North East Somerset, BS40 6HQ
Proposal: Erection of car port following the demolition of garage.

RESOLVED: The parish council SUPPORTS this planning application.

4158. Church Clock

This item was partially discussed at the start of the meeting during the public participation

Correspondence from the church regarding repairs was reviewed and considered by the council.

  • The parish council noted that the church clock was not on the parish council asset register or on the council insurance policy.
  • The council confirmed that it continued to offer funding towards the cost of electricity for the running and flood lighting of the clock. (currently at £75 per year and reviewed periodically)
  • The council confirmed that it would continue to consider, on a case by case basis, funding for maintenance of the mechanical workings of the clock.
  • It was noted that items in the church report regarding the clock and floodlight were not considered as essential repairs. The council indicated that funds were not currently available to fund refurbishment of the outside of the clock or to fund work on the church roof flashing around the electric cable. It was noted that to be considered, this kind of funding would require public support and may need to be raised within the community or with outside grants.
  • The council requested the clerk to draft an email to send to the church regarding details of repairs and ownership of the clock. The council requested the Clerk to send a draft copy of the email to council members, to enable council feedback before sending to the church.

4159. Coronation Plans

This item was discussed during the village hall report

RESOLVED: The parish council would not order any coronation mugs.

4160. Annual Parish Meeting

RESOLVED: Date of the annual parish meeting: 15th May 7:00pm to 7:30pm.

4161. Items for attention of the Clerk

There were no other items for attention of the clerk.

4162. Date of Next Meeting

RESOLVED: Date of next meeting: Monday 17th April 2023, 7.30pm at West Harptree Memorial hall.


There being no further business, the Chairman closed the meeting at 21:10

Agreed as a correct record,
signed by the Chairman of the meeting: _______________________ Date:_______________
(Chairman initial all other pages)